Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Apple Crisp - With Oats


This isn't your basic apple crisp with butter and flour as a crumb top. This has oats - and it's so much better!
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted
4 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Toss the apples in the juice of 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of nutmeg.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Stir until crumbly. Press half the oat mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover with sliced apples.

In a medium saucepan, combine white sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Cook, stirring, until thick and clear, 10 minutes. Pour over apples.
Cover apples with remaining crumble mixture.
Bake in preheated oven 45 minutes, until bubbly and golden.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I actually prefer oats/oatmeal toppings for crisps & crumbles... so much more flavor and texture! This looks so comforting for fall :)

Unknown said...

I am not particularly fond of oats but when I tried this recipe I liked how it turned out. I prepared it last night and my kids loved it, they begged me to prepare it again so they can bring some to school.