Monday, August 20, 2007

Potato-Leek Soup



I whipped this up one day when I was living with my vegetarian friends. I normally use chicken broth, as in this recipe, but I used vegetable broth when I made it for my veggie friends. It gets rave reviews every time I make it!


4 Cups of chicken broth or stock (vegetable broth is ok too)
3 leeks, cleaned and chopped
5-6 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed. (I prefer the Yukons because they have a buttery texture/taste, cook faster, and have the best texture for this recipe.)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup milk or half/half (whatever you have on hand works)
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons of flour
olive oil
salt/pepper

1) In a large pot, coat the bottom with olive oil. Add the butter and allow to melt. Add the flour to make a roux. Whisk until smooth.
2) In a skillet, sautee the garlic and leeks in about a tablespoon of olive oil and cook until leeks have softened.
3) Add the chicken broth to the pot and bring to a light boil
4) Add the potatoes and leeks and allow to simmer until potatoes have softened.
5) Once the potatoes are soft, add the milk.
6) Mash up some of the potatoes with the back of a wooden spoon (leaving as chunky or as smooth as you like)
7) Allow to simmer a few more minutes to thicken.
8) Salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information

Serve with crusty, cheesey bread.

No comments: