Monday, November 5, 2007

Chicken Enchiladas with Poblano Cream Sauce




Back in graduate school, a girl I used to know made this for us for dinner a couple of times. The sauce was her mom's recipe and she was never able to give me a copy. It was one of my favorite mexican dishes and I've been craving it for about 8 years now! I found this and thought it was very close to what I had in grad school. Maybe after a few practice rounds, I can get it just right!

Ingredients:
* 3-4 poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
*1 clove of garlic
* 1/2 cup milk
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1 tablespoon flour
* 1 cup Mexican crema or heavy cream
* salt to taste
* 2 whole chicken breasts, cut in half
* 1 cup grated manchego, jack or gouda cheese

Preparation:
Puree the chiles and garlic in a blender with the milk until smooth.

In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter, add the flour and brown lightly.

Add the chile puree, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or a wire whisk until smooth. Lower the heat, add the cream, and stir constantly until the sauce begins to bubble. Remove from heat and add salt to taste. This sauce may be made one day ahead and refrigerated.

Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet and saute chicken breast halves for 4 minutes on each side. Place them in a buttered baking dish, pour the poblano cream sauce over all bake, uncovered, in a preheated oven at 350ยบ for 20 minutes.
Shred the chicken with two forks.

I served this rolled up inside a lightly fried tortilla with the cheese and topped with homemade guacamole and sour cream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I LOVE manchego!