Thursday, November 1, 2007

Chili....that's quick but tastes like it simmered all day!


Over the years, I have tinkered around with how I make chili. I think I've finally gotten it to a point that I'm happy with. The addition of the lager really gives it depth. Plus adding extras in like corn and topping with sharp cheddar gives it many layers of flavor and texture. I just got really tired of beans and meat only!


Recipe:
1 pound of lean ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 can of dark red kidney beans (sometimes I substitue 1 can of black beans here)
1 can of light red kidney beans
1 small can of Niblets corn
1/2 bottle of lager (I used Lion's Head)
1 quart of tomato juice
1 can of Progresso hearty tomato soup
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
1 clove of garlic, diced
salt/pepper
2 tablespoons of olive oil
cheddar cheese (optional)

In a dutch oven, sautee the onions and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are transparent. Add the ground beef, season with salt and pepper, and let brown.

Add the tomato juice, tomato soup, oregano, and cumin and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the beer and simmer 15-20 minutes more. Chili should be somewhat thick.

Add the beans and corn and let warm. I've also added black beans to this at times.

Top with shredded cheddar cheese.

No comments: